Saturday, April 26, 2014

April Showers and Other Things

Not a lot to report.....and, in my case, no news is good news.  It's sometimes better to have nothing to report than to always have something bad.  I'm pleased to have a break from all that!  Things have slowed enough to be able to catch up with friends, Living Liberally, and another painting class.  This time my neighbor joined me, so I wasn't the only one in class.  We both enjoyed it and hope to do another one next month.  This is my best one yet, though it still looks like a grade school-er did it!  I don't ever remember having an art class of any kind until college (though I probably did, just have no recollection of it) and, even then, everything I did looked so symmetrical, structured.....nothing the least bit fluid, creative, natural.  So this is a real improvement for me.  My goal is only to create some things I like, even if they're amateurish and simple.




If you saw any of the Heritage Golf Tournament, you know that last weekend was rainy and crummy.  I enjoyed being able to indulge my hermit nature, especially since I'd not felt well for about a month.  I wasn't ill, but I felt like my head and body were trudging through quicksand.  Everything was an effort as I had NO energy.  There was nothing specific, but I'd felt bad long enough to begin wondering what could be wrong.  Then, after the three days and nights of rain on tournament weekend, I awakened on Monday feeling 100% better!!  And, I've felt better all week.....a clear head, more energy, and out of the quicksand!!  Thank goodness. The conclusion is that it was all of the pollen, which has never affected me this badly before.  I'm hoping the worst is behind me.


After the rain, our weather has been more consistently spring-like.  Today when I went over to visit my mother, they were all sitting outside, which was nice to see.  I've also been...still...trying to get back into walking.  Before my routine was interrupted, I was doing 3-4 miles a day.  Now, I'm stuck at two.....but that's better than nothing.  With the break in walking, I've put on about 10 pounds, so when I do walk, there are things moving and shaking that shouldn't be!  In an effort to re-establish better eating habits, I'm on the fourth day of the Cabbage Soup Diet.  A hundred years ago I 'd given it a try, but that was before the internet and I just ate nothing but cabbage soup, which got old quickly.  Well, now on the web you can get a more fleshed out program that is not bad.....a 7 day program to jump start weight loss and cleanse.  For a vegetarian, it really is easy to follow and stick to due to the variety of foods in addition to the soup.  My hope is that it will get me away from the breads, sweets and wine that I added to my diet when my mother was with me.  I became accustomed to keeping breads and sweets in the house for her, and we know who the wine was for...and why!  So far, I haven't craved any of them nor been hungry, with only three more days to go.  Tomorrow I begin to add protein so the remaining days shouldn't be difficult......here's hoping!



Okay, fellow Boomers, two items to share about aging....a topic about which I've learned a lot through personal experience and observation of my mother.  The first is a very nice ad done in the UK (though I'm not sure I agree with the last comment, especially in our society!), which you can see HERE.  The other is an article comparing Millennials and Boomers, drawing lessons each can learn from the other....very interesting.  It can be read HERE



And last, but certainly not least, I'm excited that Ann is coming for a short visit mid-May, which should give me just about time enough to clean the house if I really get to work!!  This is the first time in a long time that I can look forward to something like this and feel that my mother will be okay.....as okay as a 92 year old can be.  It's also a real treat to be with a longtime friend and look forward to catching up.  Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to it and have begun to check out activities and events to occupy our time.  It's nice to look forward to something fun.

On that very pleasant note, I'll leave you with a cartoon for dog/animal lovers, rock and roll fans, and anyone with a funny-bone  I occasionally send "Off the Leash" cartoons to Paula and Neil, who have two dogs.....and this is one of my favorites.




No comments:

Post a Comment